The Maidenhead area’s skip experts
How much do you know about skips and skip hire? You’ve certainly seen them around, and there’s a high chance you’ve made use of one. But our mini skip hire specialists near Maidenhead and Bracknell work with them every day, so they’re somewhat of a specialist subject for us.
Here are a few facts that you may not have known about the humble skip.
Five Fantastic Skip Facts
- Recent Appearance – The skip as we know it only made its way to the UK in the 1960s. Before this point, people around Maidenhead used tipper carts and wagons to transport their rubbish around.
- Unsurprising Origin – Being a highly efficient waste disposal solution, it’s no surprise Germany invented the modern skip – they have a knack for invention! But it didn’t take long for skips to become widely available across all of Europe.
- Increasingly Versatile – Initially, there was no such thing as a mini skip. They were only available in sizes of 5-6 cubic yards. Nowadays, homeowners and companies in Maidenhead have a choice between mini skip hire and traditional skip hire, from 2 cubic yards to 16!
- Initially Expensive – Skip hire was initially only affordable for Maidenhead’s wealthy, with skips costing £5 and an extra 3 shillings per day. Taking the rubbish to a landfill invoked an additional charge. Altogether, this was a lot of money in the 1960s. Nowadays, clients all across Maidenhead can afford T M Recycles’ competitively priced skip and mini skip hire services.
- Yellow for a Reason – Ever wonder why so many skips and mini skips are painted yellow? This is related to the 1971 Highways Act which featured a number of regulations targeting skips. One such regulation was that both skip and mini skip had to be visible at all times, even at night. Yellow is a high visibility colour, making it the ideal choice. These days things have moved forward, and you may even spot the odd skip around Maidenhead with lights on it!
Require skip or mini skip hire in the Maidenhead area? Give us a call on 07946 603 344.